Wednesday, June 15, 2016

A Few Words


To the audience before a libertarian comedy show, on Sunday, June 12th, 2016:

...so, uh, this morning was horrible.

I assume that we've all heard the news, about what happened in Orlando last night? It's obviously devastating -- I have a number of colleagues on the Fringe circuit who hail from the area. And I'm sure we're all still reeling.

In the coming weeks, we're going to be hearing from a lot of very loud and very angry people, because yelling is how some people grieve. Which I get! I of all people get that. We're going to be hearing a lot of opinions about things like immigration, and terrorism, and the Second Amendment, and homophobia. I just want to make it absolutely clear, at the top of this show, that tonight, we are going to be discussing none of those things.

The wounds are still raw. I am not mentally or emotionally equipped right now to riff on what happened. And, frankly, I'm not qualified to analyze all of the implications of what went down last night.

I am, however, supremely qualified to stand on this stage, and tell you some stories, and tell you some jokes, about my life as a political outsider. If that's something that is somehow useful to you today, then for the next hour, I've got your back. Let's get started.

No comments: